Nestlé Nespresso SA
Nespresso is a world-renowned company in the high-quality portioned coffee market with a robust recycling system for its aluminium capsules. The Swiss company works with more than 140,000 coffee farmers in 18 countries through its AAA Sustainable Quality program to integrate sustainable practices into their farms and surrounding landscapes. Launched in 2003 in collaboration with the Rainforest Alliance, the program helps improve crop yields and quality, ensuring a sustainable supply of high-quality coffee while improving the livelihoods of farmers and their communities. In recognition of its many commitments, Nespresso was certified B Corp in 2022.
Food & Beverage
Year of listing
By 2025, we increase the used aluminium capsules collection rate to 70 % for the Swiss Aluminium Capsule Recycling members (sold to households), compared to 63 % in 2022*.
* Through Swiss Aluminium Capsule Recycling, we engage the aluminium capsule coffee sector to commit to this goal, going beyond the Nespresso scope. Swiss Aluminium Capsule Recycling members in 2022 : Nespresso Switzerland, Delica (Café Royal), Nestlé Switzerland (Starbucks by Nespresso) and Tchibo.
To our global circular economy goal
By 2025, we reduce our greenhouse gas emissions by 20 % on the Swiss market sphere of influence, compared to 2021*.
* Contributing to Nespresso Global’s commitment to the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi). Market sphere of influence means Market overheads, Purchased services, Capsules distribution, Machine sales (production, distribution, maintenance, end-of-life), Accessories sales (production, distribution, end-of-life), Capsules & Packaging end-of-life.
To our global Net Zero goal
By 2023 and every year after, we use 100 % of our electricity from renewable sources for all of our Swiss market related activities*.
* Swiss market related activities include marketing, distribution, manufacture and production activities.
To our global Net Zero goal
By 2024, at least 40 % of both genders are represented in management functions, compared to 35 % in 2022, with the longer-term goal of parity.
About our value chain
Regarding the Nespresso coffee value chain engagement, please refer to our global goals:
1. By 2030, we aim that 95 % of our green coffee volume will be rated bronze on the Rainforest Alliance Regenerative Coffee Scorecard, out of which 70 % will be rated gold.
2. By 2030, we aim that all AAA smallholder farmers receive the Living Income Reference Price (LIRP)*.
* In origins where the LIRP has been established by Fairtrade International and the majority of AAA coffee farmers are smallholders.
Scope of pledges
Scope of Pledges:
Nestlé Nespresso SA operates in various markets around the world through a number of subsidiaries with clear operational and commercial boundaries. In Switzerland, the company is represented by Nespresso Switzerland. The pledges taken within the STI framework relate to the sustainability policy of Nestlé Nespresso SA. The latter is therefore accountable for their implementation within its scope of activity (commercialization and distribution of coffee capsules, machines, food and non-food accessories in Switzerland, supply of services at the Customer Relationship Center, in boutiques and points of sale in Switzerland, supply of after-sales services related to machine repair, coffee recycling in Switzerland). Where these commitments directly reinforce the Group's sustainability strategy, a special mention is added in the wording.
Note: By 2025 systematically indicates the end of the year, meaning: By the end of 2025 (unless otherwise defined, such as fiscal year)